One of Jami’s favourite ‘pointless pastimes’ is taking personality quizzes. Sometimes they’re quizzes based on insightful and well-researched models and statistics. Sometimes they’re absolute nonsense. An example of the latter is a quiz from BuzzFeed which told her she’s a meatball sandwich!!
Aside from online quizzes, there are plenty of tests and theories which claim to know your personality from something seemingly irrelevant. I recently took a graphology test which claimed to study my handwriting and reveal indicators of my personality. I’m aware now, after doing my research, that graphology is, in fact, a very large and dynamic subject. It’s used in fields ranging from education to criminal psychology. The test I took was very basic and simple but I thought, since it was only a small-scale version of something so accredited, it should still be somewhat accurate.
Below is a replicated picture of the sample text for my handwriting to be analysed. (My original paper had notes and scribbles everywhere.)
Here are some of the notes I wrote after my feedback, rewritten in full sentences so you can understand it too!
• slant: my handwriting is generally upright (as opposed to slanted) which indicates independence
• size: exactly within the average size, which is 9mm
• pressure: mine is on and off (you can see light bits and dark ink spots) which means I react before I think
• lower zone: the tails on my ys and gs are called ‘cradles’ because they are not full loops, indicating that I avoid confrontation
• line spacing: closely spaced lines with a loose structure (what I call untidy!) indicates that I often have to be reminded to keep cool under pressure
There are a few more, which I won’t bore you with, but all in all, I think the test was quite good! At the very least, it gave me something to think about. My analysis was done in person with someone who knew what they were talking about but hadn’t formally studied the theory. However, with a quick internet search, you can find videos and sites online which can take you through this test too. If you’re intrigued, have a go and leave a comment with what your handwriting says about you!